Open School East is a Life Prep school that provides full-day school programming for students in grades 9 - 12. We partner with six school districts in East Multnomah County (Centennial, David Douglas, Gresham Barlow, Parkrose, Reynolds, and Portland Public) to find students who need something different than a traditional school environment, and surround those students with small, inclusive classrooms, relationship-based advocacy and academics tailored to them.
Michelle Cardenas, Principal
Nawwal Moustafa, Associate Principal
RELATIONAL + IDENTITY AFFIRMING
At Open School we prepare students to reach academics and personal goals. We are committed to developing meaningful relationships with students and families that keep everyone engaged, learning, and connected.
Every teacher at Open School believes in your child and sees all students as capable learners. With this belief in mind, students and families can expect:
Intensive remediation: Make sure all students have the basics
Acceleration + Credit Recovery: we will support you throughout your journey to graduation Culturally sustaining curriculum + practices in classrooms
A focus on equity and self-advocacy: our classrooms make you feel seen and heard
Opportunity exposure: access to career and learning trips
MODEL FOR EDUCATION
Open School commits to modeling best practices for the students it serves such as:
- Culturally-sustaining instruction and curriculum
- Restorative justice practices
- School-based advocacy and mentoring
- Trauma-invested care
ADVOCACY AND SOCIAL/EMOTIONAL SUPPORT
- Daily Mentoring Groups led by Mentor teacher
- Affinity groups and support groups that facilitate healing and resilience
- Mental Health Supports through partnership with Trillium Health and Family Services
- Direct SEL support and skill building
FAMILY OUTREACH AND PARTNERSHIP
We believe our families are experts on what’s best for their child. Therefore we:
- Provide consistent and caring communication between teachers and parents
- Maintain a strength-based approach to students and families
- Establish school and family partnerships to support student success.
Read some of our news to see how our model of advocacy, equity and rigorous academics works.